Monday, May 20, 2013

Emotion: Regret

Regret.

As humans, we all experience the emotion of regret. The feeling of wanting to change the past, to change the mistakes we've made. Its only natural, isn't it? We all make mistakes, whether we made bad choices or we had skewed judgement.

We all at one point in life think:
man I wish I did something differently back then.
or perhaps we think:
What would have happened if this one thing had been different..
or maybe even
I wish I was more appreciative about this certain thing

To ponder on regret is never ending. I hate it. You think what if or if only... But this can go in circles, and can be applied to so many different situations in life. It becomes a daydream, and sometimes somewhat of an obsession.

I have one ex girlfriend, just the one.
I regret chasing her so much.
We were in young love, we thought we loved each other, perhaps we did, but eventually push came to shove.. we broke up.

Not once, not twice. five times, believe it or not. I loved her. I chased her so much, back and forth, staying dedicated to her, finding ways to win her back, eventually yeah, I did win her back, multiple times. So many things happened, so much pain, so much confusion, but was it worth it?

hell no.
I regret chasing her. I mean, we had certain circumstances, but I should have let her go, and moved on, much earlier than I did.It was stupid of me to keep chasing her, the more she took me back, I thought the more I had a chance of keeping her forever. I thought that she would be my one and only.

We may regret now, but if I think back to that time, when I chased her.. Was it worth it? YES.  yes it was. The thing we must remember is that everything is so much clearer in hindsight. Did you struggle in school 2 years ago? Probably.  Does the thing you learnt two years ago seem easy now? Of course.

When considering regret, we must realise that at the time of the decision, we made the decision that made the most sense to us at the time. All decisions, all problems, are a matter of perspective.

We must not feel bad about the decisions we've made in the past, we must not regret.
Regret all you like, go on. Day dream about what if or what could be or if only.
In the end, the past will not change. We all do things for a reason, whether your judgement was skewed, whether you weren't even sober, things happen, we all take action.

We cannot change the past, and for this reason, we should not regret.

Take all your mistakes, take all your regrets, and learn from them.
Do not let your mistakes put you down.
Life is full of mistakes, life is full of regrets. The important thing is to take all these things, and learn from them. Learn from them and take your experience with you, into the next situation. Take what you've learnt, take what you did wrong, and do the next thing better.

Take your negatives, turn them into positives. Do not regret, but reflect on your experiences.
Regret is a daydream, no matter how much you regret, the past will not change.
But to reflect on your past, is a way to better your future self.

Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.


These are your emotions.
These are my contemplations.
Andre Liu.

No comments:

Post a Comment